Saturday, September 16, 2006

RS

Yesterday I had my chimney swept and it was 30 C outside! And they had snow in Alberta. What a diverse wonderful country Canada is. And today it is raining . I don't remember the last time it rained here...

So I'm 3/4 through editing the first half of Blade Hunter. I hadn't forgotten the story but I'd lost some of the thread weaving I'd set up. That's one of the hard things about writing Romantic Suspense is you have this whole scenario in your head and you need to create a trail of crumbs so the reader can try and guess the villain in the story. Everyone likes the chance to work it out right? But getting the balance right between clues and red herrings is very hard. A bit like getting the romantic conflict resolved--I mean why can't the hero and heroine just say, 'I love you, you love me, let's move on to our Happy Ever After on page 5?

It's all about resolving conflict... a bit like every day life really ;-)

12 comments:

Meretta said...

Completely, Toni!

And I was just thinking that one of the things about suspense is that we do so much research to get those red herrings correct for the readers. Today, as I plod along and do my own weaving (and yes, it's cold here in Alberta so that's why I'm plodding) I am envious of the writers who can avoid all that and just write the danged story. I want to be there today.

On the flipside, though, it is incredible to learn things that I otherwise wouldn't. There's something to be said for that!

I could do without the cold weather, though. ;)

Toni Anderson said...

Thirty one degrees yesterday! 31!!!

I am reading so much about Vermeer and he's going to be such a minor part in this story--and yet now I know a lot about Vermeer :)

Anonymous said...

31. I am so envious. We're at 4 with a "feels like" -2. sigh. Trying to hang in there until next week. Then we're supposed to be in the mid teens. LOL. We Canadians can be a whiny bunch when it comes to the weather. Just ask me. I'll tell you. ;)

Meretta said...

Uh...that last comment was me...I see Blogger has a new system for comments.

Bailey Stewart said...

I mean why can't the hero and heroine just say, 'I love you, you love me, let's move on to our Happy Ever After on page 5

I'd get a lot more reading done that way ...

It's 8:00 p.m. here and still in the 90s - I'd kill for cold. I get more energy when the temps are low - heat zaps everything.

Blogger has a new system? Well I'll click the little button and see what happens. If I come out anonymous - well, FBA, what can I say, anonymity sounds kind of nice.

Bailey Stewart said...

Um, Meretta?

Bailey Stewart said...

Oh and did I mention that the heat index is still 100?

Meretta said...

I neglected to use my blogger identity, I guess. As opposed to the 'other' or 'anonymous'. I'm telling you the truth, officer. Honest! ;)

And okay, okay. I'll stop whining about the cold, 'cause 91 and a 100 sound way worse than...(Meretta runs to a "bilingual" thermometer) 36! You'd be at 36 if you were here. Or the weather was there. Shall I send it your way?

Brandy said...

But, as a reader, I like red herrings! They're fun. As for the temerature, we've settled into the high eighties.

Bailey Stewart said...

Send it Meretta ... pretty please.

Toni Anderson said...

Brandy, I like red herrings too! I hate stories where the bad guy is so obvious you you it is them by the end of chapter 1.

The weather is now torrential rain here. I'll settled for a happy medium. Texas sounds too hot for me Bailey. Meretta, 36 sounds bad---36 sounds 'badder' :U

Rene said...

We are having wonderful weather. I love it.

My real life conflicts are so boring. Kids want mac & cheese, I'm making chicken. That's typical of my conflicts.