Thursday, July 20, 2006

Munich

Well anyone watching the conflict in the Middle East right now on TV should think about watching this movie. Talk about depicting the futility of violence and the senselessness of retaliation and how, if nothing else, it'll destroy the soul of the person doing the killing. I'm not going to talk about politics or religion, because we all have our own views and I believe we are all entitled to our views.

I found this film fairly unbiased. The arabs were portrayed as real people, with families and feelings (as they are). The Israelis were portrayed as real people with family and feelings (as they are). The killings were cold-bloodedly planned and executed by both sides.

But there was humor in the movie--and love--and an emotional strength that evolved from the weakness that eroded the stability of the central character (how about that for a contradictory statement?). And a gritty reality that didn't come from how much blood was shown on screen--but more from the emotions of the actors, depicting yet another terrible time in our history.

We never seem to learn--as a human race we never seem to move on from the cycle of violence.

Daniel Craig was phenomenal as the South African, and Eric Bana? Well, I happen to think he's a terrific actor. Really really good--like Oscar good. Really good.


13 comments:

Scott said...

Eric Bana is definitely going up on my charts. Munich was great for all the reasons you mentioned. Any movie that is fair to both sides is aces in my book. I also enjoyed Syriana for the same reasons. It shows a human side to the arabs.

How about the scene where the girl assassin gets it?

Toni Anderson said...

Oh yeah, that scene is pretty grueling. Put me off the profession :~/

Meretta said...

How good? :)

And no! NO SPOILERS! We've got this coming in from Zip. Looking forward to seeing it!!

And yes, the troubles in the world right now. I shake my head. Will we ever learn?

Toni Anderson said...

I hope I didn't spoil it Meretta--I tried to say nothing ;-/

Rene said...

I really want to see this movie. I love Eric Bana and I've heard Spielberg did a wonderful job.

Melissa Marsh said...

I saw this movie last week. It really spoke to me and I think it lingered in my mind for a few days afterwards. It is very powerful. And to tell you the truth, I was depressed after watching it because it speaks to a chilling truth - that revenge never ends.

Eric Bana was brilliant. How his character completely changed from the beginning to the end of the movie was just amazing - and all too real.

Siobhan said...

I saw this film a few months ago and, yes, it was excellent. Really made me think.

Laurie said...

You're right, Toni - Eric Bana is Oscar material but is continually overlooked, just as Kevin Bacon has been for years. I want to see this movie, so thanks for not spoiling it and thanks for the great pictures! I have no idea why I suddenly can't post pics on my blog....anyway, the current crisis in the Middle East is heart-breaking and you're right, the human race never learns.

Toni Anderson said...

I like Kevin Bacon too :)

Brandy said...

I'll have to tell Dh about this film. It sounds outstanding.

Kendra Clark said...

Interesting. I need to watched this one.

Of course, Eric Bana isn't quelling my desire to watch ;)

MaryF said...

I loved this movie too - almost posted a spoiler, though. Great character piece.

Toni Anderson said...

Quelling desire Kendra? *vbg* Mean thinks you art a romantic.

Brandy it is excellent.

Mary--I remember reading you blog about it.

My dad always used to say, "but they all die in the end." to EVERY SINGLE MOVIE!!!